BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday 12 April 2010

Evaluation

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? (i.e. of music magazines)
My 2 minute introduction uses a disequilibrium, meaning there is a problem straight at the beginning. Left 4 dead, the game i wanted this movie to relate too, and Other popular movies such as I am legend and SAW all also are set as a disequilibrium. In I am legend, the viewer is aware of a virus because it is explained in the beginning. In my product, I had a radio type voice explain to the viewers that a zombie virus had spread across the world. Also, I used mise en scene, effects and sound to represent the horror/sci fi genre.

2. How does your media product represent particular social groups ?
My media product represents particular social groups with it's genre. As I aimed for my product to be a horror genre, it would be most suitable for the older audience (18 years old +). Children and younger aged teenagers may not show liking into this type of movie as it contains horror and violence. It is also said that the Gothic social groups prefer horror/sci fi movies, So my product may also be suitable for that sort of group


3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
As my media product is a horror/sci fi genre movie, it must contain not only brilliant effects, but also certain professional areas in mise en scene such as lighting, costume and weather. As these things may cost a fortune to do/produce, a media institution with a high budget such as universal will be the most suitable group to distribute my media product. Smaller institutions with small budget will have trouble creating horror/sci fi movies as they will struggle to pay for certain mise en scene areas and editing/effects.


4. Who would be the audience for your media product?
As said in question two, my media product is a horror/sci fi genre, Meaning it is mostly suitable for the adult/older youths audience (or anyone who enjoy horror based films such as I am Legend). This is because my product will contain strong violence, gore and horror which will be unsuitable for children or younger teenagers and those who may be squeamish. My product may also be suitable for groups or couples as it's the sort of movie were viewers can talk about what happens in the film.

5. How did you attract/address your audience?
I attracted/addressed my audience by using mainly editing, sound effects and certain mise en scene areas in a way to make the audience want to watch more. below shows the four areas I used (Editing, sound, mise en scene and camera work) and what and how I used these areas to attract the audience
Editing/special effects- Because I was able to use the amazing editing software, sony vegas, I was able to add more effects and edit better then someone who would use windows movie maker or possibly Imovie (I think that's what the movie making software on the Mac is called). With sony vegas, i could also add special effects, for example I added the static/television fuzz in certain parts of my introduction to add more effect. I was also able to add a grayscale to my product, (This can be done in most movie making software but sony vegas has more grayscale effects to choose from) meaning I could show the viewers that the introduction of my film was set before the rest of the film.
Sound- I probably spent the most time editing, removing and adding sounds onto my product. When I first began planning my product, I wanted a certain friend to do a voice over as a radio person who is talking about the zombie virus. Sadly i failed to do this in the end, but I then found a voice over exactly like the one I wanted on a popular website called Freesound.org (As you can probably tell by it's name, the website provides sound effects and music which is completely free). Other sound effects i found from this website included the sound of a door creakingt then closing, water from a tap running and the scream from the girl as she attacks the survivor. Also, another game that I used to play (Timesplitters) had a website were you could get access to all soundtracks used in the game which I had permission to use in my product (website called tsmusicbox.com).
Mise en scene- all mise en scene was done when shooting and none was done with sony vegas. The location we filmed in was in my sister and neices house. To make my product more realistic, we made the house look destroyed (not the whole house, just rooms and areas we were filming in :)) by throwing blankets, CD's tables chair cushions etc. on the floor and adding fake cobwebs. Outside in the garden we did things such as put a shelf stand outside, throw some toys on the floor and have a bin lying on the floor (the bin which the girl was lying in) LOCATION AND LAYOUT. For costumes the actors wore old clothes that they were willing to get dirty. For the zombie girl, we wanted her to be wearing a white top so the audience could see the blood on her top. The survivor was made to look like the typical women who will get killed in most horror movies, COSTUMES. As we did not have proffesional camera's and special movie lights, we had to film during the day so we were completely able to see everything, LIGHTING.
Camerawork- The camera work would not have attracted the audience as most viewers will not be concentrating on the camera work.

All I have mentioned above were combined to attract the audience.


6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
As I have previously made films in history, I can not say I have learned anything in the editing area of film making as all of the effects/what I used to edit I have used before. Although I did learn about what effects I would need to add when editing a product of that genre, But everything else i was already aware of.

7. Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?
As I was unable to complete my preliminary task, I am unable to answer this question. But overall, I have learnt the difficulties in trying gather actors together to film certain shoots.

0 comments: